Blog: National fish fingers and custard day?
Katy Askew | 2 April 2013
Doctor Who adorns the latest packaging for Birds Eye fish fingers in the UK
There are some of you who will immediately know what I'm talking about. For the rest, let me explain: tomorrow has been named "national fish fingers and custard day" to celebrate the favourite food of the eleventh doctor. Dr Who? Exactly.
Dr Who has replaced Captain Birdseye on a special-edition pack of fish fingers, which has been created by UK frozen food brand Birds Eye to mark the occasion and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the cult BBC series.
Avid Dr Who fans might be in for something of a disappointment, however. Birds Eye has only made one pack, a spokesperson for the group explains. This has been sent to Matt Smith who plays the eleventh Doctor in the iconic television show. I shudder to think what that would go for on eBay (mint, in box).
Lucky Smith has also been sent a year's supply of Birds Eye fish fingers.
Birds Eye has not entered into discussions with custard brands over potential cross-promotional opportunities this year, but as fish finger and custard day looks set to be an annual event, perhaps we should watch this space.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020