Blog: National fish fingers and custard day?
Katy Askew | 2 April 2013
Doctor Who adorns the latest packaging for Birds Eye fish fingers in the UK
There are some of you who will immediately know what I'm talking about. For the rest, let me explain: tomorrow has been named "national fish fingers and custard day" to celebrate the favourite food of the eleventh doctor. Dr Who? Exactly.
Dr Who has replaced Captain Birdseye on a special-edition pack of fish fingers, which has been created by UK frozen food brand Birds Eye to mark the occasion and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the cult BBC series.
Avid Dr Who fans might be in for something of a disappointment, however. Birds Eye has only made one pack, a spokesperson for the group explains. This has been sent to Matt Smith who plays the eleventh Doctor in the iconic television show. I shudder to think what that would go for on eBay (mint, in box).
Lucky Smith has also been sent a year's supply of Birds Eye fish fingers.
Birds Eye has not entered into discussions with custard brands over potential cross-promotional opportunities this year, but as fish finger and custard day looks set to be an annual event, perhaps we should watch this space.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review