Blog: Navigating the "digital explosion"
Dean Best | 18 October 2011
Data out today (18 October) claimed that online grocery sales in the UK are set to almost double in five years but manufacturers and retailers have much work to do to benefit from the market's apparent potential.
UK industry analysts IGD forecast that online grocery sales will hit GBP11.2bn in 2016, compared to the estimated sales this year of GBP5.9bn.
IGD chief executive Joanne Denney-Finch said a "digital explosion" is taking place in the UK, with online the fastest-growing channel in the country and more consumers set to shop online in the future.
However, almost half of all UK consumers that have bought groceries online are now lapsed and, at the IGD's Online Grocery Retailing Conference in London today, industry delegates were told what they could do to drive sales online.
Executives from Asda and The Co-operative Group to Google and Facebook discussed topics from the supply chain, the rise of mobile shopping and how social networks can help build brand awareness.
Online only accounts for 3.8% of grocery sales in the UK but, even in a channel still in very much in its early days compared to its traditional counterparts, the industry is keen to look to the technologies of the future. And the use of mobile was a key topic of discussion, with Ben Miller, head of shopper insight at the IGD, claiming the "real game-changer" for the sector "could already be in the palm of our hand".
More in-depth coverage will be on just-food tomorrow but, for news and views from the event, follow just_food and dean_best on Twitter.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review