Blog: Nestle confirms emerging market targets
Katy Askew | 6 November 2012
Swiss food group Nestle has confirmed that it hopes to generate around half of its sales in emerging markets by 2020.
Nandu Nandkishore, Nestlé Zone Director for Asia, Oceania, Africa and Middle East commented: "Globally emerging markets I believe contribute about 40% of Nestle's business at this point of time... and [the] expectation is that by the end of the decade it should reach 50%"
Nestle's revenue growth in emerging markets is outpacing that in developed economies. During the first nine months of this year, Nestle said that emerging market sales rose 11.7%, compared to growth of just 2.4% in developed markets.
In a bid to continue this growth in emerging markets apace, Nestle is focused on expanding its routes to market and enhancing its product offering. The company recently announced that it will open two R&D centres in China to support local product development.
And Nestle - like many of its peers - looking well beyond the highly publicised opportunity presented by the BRIC economies. In this month's just-food interview, to be published in the coming weeks, we will be speaking to Nestle equatorial Africa region head Ian Donald on the company's plans to grow in the region.
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets....
UK health leaders have called for an "emergency task force" to tackle the childhood obesity crisis in the country as, for the first time, they are faced with a generation of patients "who may predecea...
Tyson Foods has completed its US$8.55bn acquisition of Hillshire Brands, with shares in the Jimmy Dean sausage maker delisted before the market opened today (29 August) - and its CEO leaving the busin...
New Zealand dairy group Synlait Milk revealed today (28 August) it has hit the "major milestone" of receiving regulatory clearance to begin exporting finished product from its new NZ$28.5m dry blendin...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Valio targets China with EUR70m whey inve
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape