Blog: Nestle gives rivals plenty to chew over
Dean Best | 12 August 2010
One analyst spoke of Nestle's "unstoppable momentum" after the world's largest food maker published its first-half results yesterday (11 August).
And the Swiss food giant's numbers were robust, particularly the growth from its core food and beverage business in Europe, where trading for all companies remains tough.
However, perhaps the most telling part of Nestle's results announcement was the defence of its emerging market operations from CFO Jim Singh.
The Nestle finance chief pulled no punches in his attempt to see off criticism that the company is under-exposed to emerging markets.
Others may have a greater proportion of their sales in emerging markets but Singh argued that it was a company's scale in the developing world that counts. And Nestle's scale, he insisted, was "unmatched".
Singh's comments on Nestle's presence in emerging markets was a timely reminder of how far the company has come in the developing world - and a timely warning about the future to its competitors.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review