Blog: Nestle opens KitKat "boutique" in Japan
Dean Best | 20 January 2014
Nestle said KitKat's "very unique significance" in Japan sees bars used as gifts
Nestle has opened a retail "boutique" for KitKat in Japan, a market where, the food giant, claims its flagship chocolate brand, is "close to being a cult product".
The so-called KitKat "Chocolatory" will be located in a Seibu department store in Tokyo's Ikebukuro district.
The "boutique" will stock exclusive varieties of KitKat, including chocolate containing green tea.
Having a boutique for KitKat may seem an unusual move when viewed from the UK, where the brand is firmly seen as a mainstream product.
Nestle says KitKat is "still positioned as a mainstream brand" in Japan. However, the company said it was looking to "solidify" KitKat's position as Japan's "favourite chocolate".
"KitKat has a very unique significance in Japan. The name sounds similar to the Japanese phrase Kitto Katsu, which roughly translates as 'you will surely win', a phrase for wishing someone good luck. As a result, KitKat bars are often used as gifts, particularly for students sitting exams. This fact, combined with Japanese consumers’ love of novelty, has led to the development of a very unique and innovative portfolio of flavours specific only to Japan," Nestle said.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019