Blog: Nestle receives green light on Pfizer deal
Michelle Russell | 6 November 2012
Swiss food group Nestle today (6 November) received approval from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce for its US$11.85bn deal to acquire Pfizer's infant nutrition business.
The approval brings Nestle another step closer to completing the acquisition, which was announced in April this year, enabling the world's largest infant nutrition group to extend its lead in this fast-growing category.
Pfizer Nutrition operates in more than 60 countries globally and 85% of sales are generated in emerging markets, meaning the acquisition effectively fills in the blanks on the map for Nestle. It will provide the company with increased scale in a high-growth, high-margin, category in fast-growing developing markets, CEO Paul Bulcke told investors as it emerged as victor of competitive auction process.
Nestle beat companies including Danone and Mead Johnson to seal the agreement. The next hurdle, however, is to receive approval from anti-trust bodies in several countries in order to fully complete the acquisition.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report