Blog: Nestle receives green light on Pfizer deal
Michelle Russell | 6 November 2012
Swiss food group Nestle today (6 November) received approval from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce for its US$11.85bn deal to acquire Pfizer's infant nutrition business.
The approval brings Nestle another step closer to completing the acquisition, which was announced in April this year, enabling the world's largest infant nutrition group to extend its lead in this fast-growing category.
Pfizer Nutrition operates in more than 60 countries globally and 85% of sales are generated in emerging markets, meaning the acquisition effectively fills in the blanks on the map for Nestle. It will provide the company with increased scale in a high-growth, high-margin, category in fast-growing developing markets, CEO Paul Bulcke told investors as it emerged as victor of competitive auction process.
Nestle beat companies including Danone and Mead Johnson to seal the agreement. The next hurdle, however, is to receive approval from anti-trust bodies in several countries in order to fully complete the acquisition.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis