Blog: Nestle turns to Chinese medicine
Dean Best | 29 November 2012
In another sign the world's largest food maker is not just about Kit Kats, Nescafe or Maggi noodles, the Swiss food giant is now looking to use Chinese medicine in its fledgling health science business.
Nestle and pharma and healthcare group Chi-Med are going to team up and look into developing "nutritional and medicinal products" using botanical plants.
"This joint venture provides Nestlé Health Science with an opportunity to develop and commercialise truly innovative and scientifically validated botanical-based nutrition for personalised healthcare in gastrointestinal health," Luis Cantarell, president and CEO for Nestlé Health Science, said.
Hutchison MediPharma Limited, a subsidiary of Chi-Med, is already developing what Nestle called a "first-of-its-kind botanical product", to be taken orally, to manage moderate inflammatory bowel disease.
The venture may raise some eyebrows in the food industry but it is a sign Nestle is confident efforts to carve a third way between nutrition and pharmaceuticals will pay dividends in a world facing growing health challenges from non-communicable diseases and, in the developed world, ageing populations.
Unilever today (5 May) published news on the progress it is making on its ten-year programme to double in size while reducing its impact on the environment - and claimed its efforts were becoming an e...
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned lower maize harvests in Africa could "trigger food price increases"....
Home baking category sales have had something of a roller coaster ride in recent years. ...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019