Blog: Nestle turns to Chinese medicine
Dean Best | 29 November 2012
In another sign the world's largest food maker is not just about Kit Kats, Nescafe or Maggi noodles, the Swiss food giant is now looking to use Chinese medicine in its fledgling health science business.
Nestle and pharma and healthcare group Chi-Med are going to team up and look into developing "nutritional and medicinal products" using botanical plants.
"This joint venture provides Nestlé Health Science with an opportunity to develop and commercialise truly innovative and scientifically validated botanical-based nutrition for personalised healthcare in gastrointestinal health," Luis Cantarell, president and CEO for Nestlé Health Science, said.
Hutchison MediPharma Limited, a subsidiary of Chi-Med, is already developing what Nestle called a "first-of-its-kind botanical product", to be taken orally, to manage moderate inflammatory bowel disease.
The venture may raise some eyebrows in the food industry but it is a sign Nestle is confident efforts to carve a third way between nutrition and pharmaceuticals will pay dividends in a world facing growing health challenges from non-communicable diseases and, in the developed world, ageing populations.
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
Opposition to the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food continues to prove a controversial issue....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom