Blog: No fat, no VAT
Catherine Sleep | 10 January 2006
A new fastfood chain has put its money where its mouth is and introduced the nutrition traffic light system advanced by the Food Standards Agency. Fresh Italy, which currently has just three branches but plans to open at least six more this year, takes into account fat (content and type), sugar, salt and calorie count in its green, amber and red symbols.
The chain is positioning itself firmly on a health platform, and to get the message across it is running a ‘No fat, no VAT’ promotion this month, when green and amber dishes are charged free of VAT. Neat idea.
Less transparent but doubtless appealing is the fact that, while cappuccino and latte retail at a very reasonable £1 per cup, espresso comes free. What, do they reckon customers need the quick energy boost they’re not getting from the low-sugar foods?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review