Blog: Northern and Ethnic Cuisine: then and now
Dean Best | 23 April 2010
So, we are set to see more consolidation in the UK convenience food business, not on the M&A front but, as Bakkavor CFO Richard Howes predicted on these pages earlier this month, through capacity being taken out of the sector.
The Ethnic Cuisine business in Swansea looks set to close, the latest ready-meals site shuttered or mothballed by Northern Foods in recent months.
Northern acquired Ethnic Cuisine in 2007. Back then, the company described the unit as a “profitable business” with a “strong reputation for producing high-quality ready meals".
However, yesterday, Northern changed tack, with the company admitting that the site was “struggling” at the time of its acquisition and required “significant” levels investment.
The imminent closure of Ethnic Cuisine is unlikely to be the last we hear of downsizing in UK ready meals.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review