Blog: Northern and Ethnic Cuisine: then and now
Dean Best | 23 April 2010
So, we are set to see more consolidation in the UK convenience food business, not on the M&A front but, as Bakkavor CFO Richard Howes predicted on these pages earlier this month, through capacity being taken out of the sector.
The Ethnic Cuisine business in Swansea looks set to close, the latest ready-meals site shuttered or mothballed by Northern Foods in recent months.
Northern acquired Ethnic Cuisine in 2007. Back then, the company described the unit as a “profitable business” with a “strong reputation for producing high-quality ready meals".
However, yesterday, Northern changed tack, with the company admitting that the site was “struggling” at the time of its acquisition and required “significant” levels investment.
The imminent closure of Ethnic Cuisine is unlikely to be the last we hear of downsizing in UK ready meals.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review