Blog: Northern the latest to fight for a pizza the action
Dean Best | 19 September 2008
In the UK, one category seems to be shrugging off the effects of the credit crunch – pizza.
In recent weeks, the likes of Northern Foods, Dr. Oetker and Schwan's have outlined plans to grab a bigger slice of the pizza market, which according to some estimates is worth around GBP103m (US$188m).
As UK consumers watch the pennies, the signs are that the pizza category is one part of the food industry that is benefiting. As eating out becomes less of an option, so shoppers can be inclined to spend a little bit more on eating in.
The likes of Domino's have certainly benefited from that trend, and given the bun-fight among the owners of the UK's biggest pizza brands, it seems that there is room for more companies to make a little bit of dough out of pizza.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report