Blog: Notes from the EU - a new customs code?
Dean Best | 20 November 2009
The latest proposed reforms to create a harmonised and modernised EU customs code could increase duties on branded food imported from outside the EU.
They could boost the customs valuation of these goods, inflating ad valorem tariffs; one change would ban the use of the ‘first sale for export’ for valuations, where importers declare the price a foreign exporter paid to a local supplier before shipping the goods to Europe.
This could be less than the price paid by the eventual European customer, with a correspondingly lower duty.
Another change would force exporters to include royalties and licence fees covering permissions to exploit intellectual property rights in their customs valuations. These are currently excluded when exporters source from suppliers not directly demanding their payment – essentially a third party.
Under the new system, royalties and licence fees would be included in valuation of any goods attracting some kind of trademark, patent or copyright.
Any changes would - naturally - need to be discussed at length by EU officials but the impact of any reforms is worth bearing in mind.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review