Blog: Now Whole Foods is in the private equity spotlight
Dean Best | 8 January 2009
Whole Foods Market, the US organics retailer, looks to be the latest company in our sector to be facing the glare of private equity investment.
Some like Heinz, after a period of tension between investors and management, are bubbling along quite nicely.
Others, like Carrefour, are embarking on a new chapter following months of pressure from investors, which culminated in a change of chief executive.
Now, Whole Foods, which has suffered amid the economic downturn in the US, faces the prospect of intense scrutiny from private equity investors.
Today (8 January), it was revealed that investment fund Yucaipa Cos., headed by Ron Burkle, had taken a 7% stake in Whole Foods.
Yucaipa's move follows a similar one last month from private equity fund Green Equity Investors, which paid US$425m for 17% of Whole Foods.
The retailer, once one of Wall Street's shining lights, has fallen on tougher times as the downturn hits consumer spending. Expect greater input from its new investors into how the company can fight the recession.
Whether there will be further changes at the top of Whole Foods remains to be seen.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020