Blog: Now Whole Foods is in the private equity spotlight
Dean Best | 8 January 2009
Whole Foods Market, the US organics retailer, looks to be the latest company in our sector to be facing the glare of private equity investment.
Some like Heinz, after a period of tension between investors and management, are bubbling along quite nicely.
Others, like Carrefour, are embarking on a new chapter following months of pressure from investors, which culminated in a change of chief executive.
Now, Whole Foods, which has suffered amid the economic downturn in the US, faces the prospect of intense scrutiny from private equity investors.
Today (8 January), it was revealed that investment fund Yucaipa Cos., headed by Ron Burkle, had taken a 7% stake in Whole Foods.
Yucaipa's move follows a similar one last month from private equity fund Green Equity Investors, which paid US$425m for 17% of Whole Foods.
The retailer, once one of Wall Street's shining lights, has fallen on tougher times as the downturn hits consumer spending. Expect greater input from its new investors into how the company can fight the recession.
Whether there will be further changes at the top of Whole Foods remains to be seen.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review