Blog: Nursery food
Catherine Sleep | 30 March 2006
As the mother of a young child, I was pleased to read in the news today that most childcare providers offer a nutritious, balanced diet to those in their care. Amid the general hullabaloo over school dinners, I wondered if too little attention was being paid to the very youngest children, but evidently the healthy eating message is getting through in nurseries too.
I’m lucky in that the menu at my son’s nursery has recently been overhauled to include both healthier options and a more diverse range of foods to encourage adventurous appetites. It would be galling if the time and effort we put in at home to prepare wholesome, tasty and varied food for him were undermined at nursery. This is not to say that I approve of every single menu item. One day the children are given pears with chocolate sauce for pudding, which irritates slightly. Why not pears on their own?
While he is still tiny I can insist he is given an alternative dessert that I provide, but there will soon come a time when he could resent being treated differently. In any case, I guess all things should be available in moderation or children will not learn to make sensible choices for themselves later on.
One day I’ll look back and chuckle at the thought that my biggest worry about him was whether he was having chocolate sauce on his pears or not, won't I?!
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities