Blog: Ocado float admission raises eyebrows
Dean Best | 17 June 2009
Today's (17 June) admission from Ocado, the UK online food retailer, that is aiming to float on the stock exchange next year came as a surprise.
Ocado has already proved an attractive investment for at least industry player, Procter & Gamble, which bought a stake in the business last year.
However, Ocado operates in a buoyant channel but it is facing fierce competition from the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's and is yet to turn a profit.
What's more, one of the company's founders, Jason Gissing, is reported, in the not-too-distant past, to have been opposed to a possible float.
According to The Times, Gissing said last year: "I would rather shoot myself than be FD of a listed company. I didn’t start Ocado to sit in a room full of suits and have them abuse me about quarterly earnings.”
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities