Blog: Oetker signals UK retreat
Dean Best | 12 November 2010
The takeover deal for Onken yoghurt looks set to give new owner Emmi the opportunity to build a stronger business in the UK, although for former owner Dr Oetker, it means a scaling back of its operations here.
Yesterday, we reported Emmi's move for Onken and how it appears to be a shrewd move, giving the Swiss dairy giant a platform to build its business in the UK and in Germany, two key international markets for the company.
For Oetker, the deal gives it the chance to focus on chilled desserts in markets like Germany, France and Italy.
However, in the UK, Oetker has decided to quit the chilled desserts business and look squarely at home baking and pizza.
Oetker entered the UK via its acquisition of Onken six years ago but the businesses it took on were focused mainly on yoghurt. With the sale of the Onken brand, the desserts business did not have enough "critical mass" to stay in the UK, the company said.
So, all change for Emmi and Oetker in the UK. For Emmi, the potential for a stronger business - although as we reported yesterday - it will not be easy for the company when faced with competition from the likes of Nestle, Danone and Muller.
For Oetker, a chance to pay more attention to home baking and pizza. Cue furrowed brows from its competitors, particularly in the latter category.
As we saw on Tuesday (9 November), Oetker pizza rival Northern Foods is struggling to warm sales of its own frozen pizza brand Goodfella's.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review