Blog: Of crashes and Kings
Catherine Sleep | 5 January 2005
Fresh back from an invigorating holiday and straight into a mini-crisis. For those of you who had problems accessing just-food yesterday, my apologies. We experienced technical difficulties that disabled our Internet connection. You couldn’t access the site, and neither could we. Groan.
Needless to say we’re catching up fast. It wasn’t an ideal start to the working year, but if you’re anything like me the horrendous events triggered by the tsunami in Asia on Boxing Day have made such matters seem piddling. just-food has two contributors in the affected regions; both are fine, thank goodness.
In the meantime you might find the Beeb interview with Sainsbury’s head honcho Justin King of interest. The ex-Asda and M&S youngster is refreshingly frank about the job ahead. I quote: “In the last ten-15 years, whilst others have got better, we [Sainsbury’s] haven't”. Very true.
The tone of the interview is interesting; the author clearly can’t decide whether King is an upstart or a figure to be respected. He eventually comes down in favour of the latter position, although the sub-editor is less certain. Check out the caption to a photo of King sitting at his desk: “Mr King prefers sports to books”. Ouch, you can almost hear the disapproval, can’t you?
Happy New Year, everyone
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016