Blog: Official UK figures reveal snow's impact on food sales
Dean Best | 21 January 2011
UK retailers last week gave an indication of how the cold weather last month had hit food sales in the run-up to Christmas - Marks and Spencer boss Marc Bolland said the snow had reduced the retailer's grocery sales by GBP10-15m.
Today (21 December), however, came official evidence of the impact of the big freeze on the sector.
Data from the Office for National Statistics claimed that food stores saw their sales fall 3.4% - the lowest since the figures were first released in 1988.
Kate Davies, statistician for the ONS's retail sales inquiry, said: "This is the 11th consecutive fall in food store sales and the lowest on record. One factor to blame was that December 2010 was the coldest December in 100 years. Another factor was a five per cent rise in prices of goods sold at food stores. In comparison the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI), announced two days ago, rose by 3.7%."
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report