Blog: OFT keeping its powder dry on Sainsbury's
Dean Best | 6 August 2007
just-food was surprised to read reports this weekend that the Office of Fair Trading had held informal talks with Delta Two, the investment fund looking to buy UK retailer Sainsbury’s.
The OFT was said to have approached Delta Two and discussed the fund’s proposed bid for Sainsbury’s.
Delta Two, an investment vehicle backed by the Qatar government, has indicated that it would bid GBP10.6bn (US$21.5bn) for Sainsbury’s and borrow some GBP6bn to fund the takeover.
There have been concerns over the amount of cash Delta Two would look to borrow to finance the deal, not least from UK trade unions worried over the level of debt that could be placed on the business.
However, to suggest that the OFT would act on those concerns at this point in proceedings is misguided. First, there has been no official bid from Delta Two for Sainsbury’s and secondly, should the OFT wish to hold talks with the fund, it would do so under standard official procedures as an impartial, administrative body.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review