Blog: One way of fighting back
Catherine Sleep | 28 July 2004
When the food industry is under pressure, it fights back. Fair enough. One of its vehicles in the battle to ward off fat taxes is the Center for Consumer Freedom, spearheading the fight against “financial Goliaths that use junk science, intimidation tactics and even threats of violence to push their radical agendas”.
Golly. Sadly the Center for Consumer Freedom doesn’t feel able to reveal the names of its backers as they are “reasonably apprehensive about privacy and safety”. It does on the other hand feel free, through its ActivistCash.com project, to dish the dirt on activist celebrities.
The site must have very good lawyers as some of the comments are highly unflattering, to say the least. Check out Marion Nestle being described as a “hysterical anti-food industry fanatic” and “obsessed”. The John Banzhaf write-up is pretty scathing too.
Make your own mind up.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review