Blog: One way of fighting back
Catherine Sleep | 28 July 2004
When the food industry is under pressure, it fights back. Fair enough. One of its vehicles in the battle to ward off fat taxes is the Center for Consumer Freedom, spearheading the fight against “financial Goliaths that use junk science, intimidation tactics and even threats of violence to push their radical agendas”.
Golly. Sadly the Center for Consumer Freedom doesn’t feel able to reveal the names of its backers as they are “reasonably apprehensive about privacy and safety”. It does on the other hand feel free, through its ActivistCash.com project, to dish the dirt on activist celebrities.
The site must have very good lawyers as some of the comments are highly unflattering, to say the least. Check out Marion Nestle being described as a “hysterical anti-food industry fanatic” and “obsessed”. The John Banzhaf write-up is pretty scathing too.
Make your own mind up.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities