Blog: Optimism in times of doom and gloom
Dean Best | 10 November 2008
Despite the current doom and gloom over the economy, there were notes of optimism among the food manufacturing fraternity last week. Associated British Foods posted a set of robust annual figures that highlighted that, while its burgeoning discount clothing retail unit Primark may be grabbing the headlines, the Patak's-to-Ryvita supplier has built a strong stable of grocery brands to underpin the growth of the business.
Another food giant eyeing a sweeter future is Tate & Lyle. 2007 may have once been described as an "annus horribilis" for the company by some in the investment community but the UK food and ingredients group seems to be slowly heading in the right direction. The company last week reported "sound" first-half results, with operating profit up 3% thanks largely to its US business.
And one US firm with its eye on the future last week was PepsiCo, with news of a US$1bn investment package for China and a shake up of the way it runs its soft drinks and snacks businesses in India. The strategy is a prudent one. PepsiCo's snacks businesses in markets like India and China are taking the pressure away from the company's more mature markets in North America and Europe, where growth is harder to come by. The emerging markets are a small part of PepsiCo's business now but there is no denying that the company is placing its chips on their potential in the years ahead.
Until next time...
Dean Best, Managing Editor
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review