Blog: Orkla goes with its gut on latest acquisition
Dean Best | 4 October 2016
Orkla, one of the largest consumer goods companies in the Nordic region, has added to its portfolio this week with an acquisition of a brand in the health sector.
The company has completed an agreement to acquire Polish brand Colon-C from A-Z Medica, a producer and distributor of natural herbal supplements, dietary supplements and cosmetics.
Orkla described Colon-C as "a leading brand in the constipation category and a strong market leader in the fibre segment".
Colon-C is to join Orkla's other brands targeted at improving the gut health of consumers. Orkla already owns the herbal medicine Husk and the antacid Samarin.
The deal underlines Orkla's interest in healthcare. The group's Orkla Health division already generates annual sales of NOK1.6bn, with a portfolio that also includes Möller’s omega-3, weight management brand Nutrilett and LongoVital dietary supplements. Orkla's health products are primarily sold through grocery stores, health food stores and pharmacies. The business counts the Nordic region, the Baltic states and Poland as the "home markets" for the products, although it says they have a presence "in many countries".
The move for Colon-C and the extent of Orkla's health-focused portfolio is another example of how a food or food-centric company is looking to grow its presence in the area, with Nestle also among the businesses steadily building its operations in the field of what it calls "health science".
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review