Blog: Palm oil could be next ingredient to be taxed
Dean Best | 13 November 2012
Food manufacturers in Europe many have cheered Denmark's announcement to scrap its tax on saturated fat but, further south, French politicians are debating a levy on another ingredient - palm oil.
A committee in the French Senate has put forward an amendment to a government bill containing a raft of proposals to increase taxes that would see the tax on palm oil reach 300%.
The Senate is set to vote on the package of proposals this week; if passed the bill will move back to France's National Assembly, back to the Senate for another reading and then again to the lower house for a final vote next month.
A tax on palm oil has presumably been put forward as a means of raising revenue as the French government looks to improve the country's finances and as a way of alleviating the food sector's impact on the environment in countries like Malaysia, where the ingredient is cultivated.
However, food manufacturers are likely to be concerned about another legislative proposal to hit the industry.
FoodDrinkEurope, the association that represents manufacturers in Europe, said yesterday it "welcomed" the Danish announcement to remove the fat tax. When contacted by just-food today, it refused to comment on the proposed palm oil levy in France.
"As this relates to a french tax the best contact would be the French national federation, ANIA," a FoodDrinkEurope official insisted.
ANIA could not be reached for comment at the time of writing.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review