Blog: Palm oil in the spotlight
Dean Best | 28 October 2009
Today's (28 October) publication of the WWF "palm oil scorecard" has revealed that, while the likes of Sainsbury's, M&S, Unilever and Cadbury are making progress on sustainable sourcing, there are dozens of other companies where a lot more work is needed.
Or, as the green campaigners put it this morning, where some need to "up their game".
The structure of the palm oil supply chain and cost of sustainable sourcing are frequently held up as two obstacles by food manufacturers and retailers that have yet to makes changes to the way they buy palm oil.
However, as Adam Harrison, the WWF's senior policy officer for food and agriculture told just-food this afternoon, cost should not be an insurmountable barrier, while there are ways to resolve supply chain issues - and he pointed to the GreenPalm certificates recently embraced by M&S in the UK.
just-food will be running a full-length interview with Harrison tomorrow. Palm oil is high on the sustainability agenda and, with the annual Roundtable Meeting on Sustainable Palm Oil being held in Malaysia next week, it is an issue that needs to be faced head on by all in the sector.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities