Blog: Palm oil in the spotlight
Dean Best | 28 October 2009
Today's (28 October) publication of the WWF "palm oil scorecard" has revealed that, while the likes of Sainsbury's, M&S, Unilever and Cadbury are making progress on sustainable sourcing, there are dozens of other companies where a lot more work is needed.
Or, as the green campaigners put it this morning, where some need to "up their game".
The structure of the palm oil supply chain and cost of sustainable sourcing are frequently held up as two obstacles by food manufacturers and retailers that have yet to makes changes to the way they buy palm oil.
However, as Adam Harrison, the WWF's senior policy officer for food and agriculture told just-food this afternoon, cost should not be an insurmountable barrier, while there are ways to resolve supply chain issues - and he pointed to the GreenPalm certificates recently embraced by M&S in the UK.
just-food will be running a full-length interview with Harrison tomorrow. Palm oil is high on the sustainability agenda and, with the annual Roundtable Meeting on Sustainable Palm Oil being held in Malaysia next week, it is an issue that needs to be faced head on by all in the sector.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016