Blog: Palm oil in the spotlight
Dean Best | 28 October 2009
Today's (28 October) publication of the WWF "palm oil scorecard" has revealed that, while the likes of Sainsbury's, M&S, Unilever and Cadbury are making progress on sustainable sourcing, there are dozens of other companies where a lot more work is needed.
Or, as the green campaigners put it this morning, where some need to "up their game".
The structure of the palm oil supply chain and cost of sustainable sourcing are frequently held up as two obstacles by food manufacturers and retailers that have yet to makes changes to the way they buy palm oil.
However, as Adam Harrison, the WWF's senior policy officer for food and agriculture told just-food this afternoon, cost should not be an insurmountable barrier, while there are ways to resolve supply chain issues - and he pointed to the GreenPalm certificates recently embraced by M&S in the UK.
just-food will be running a full-length interview with Harrison tomorrow. Palm oil is high on the sustainability agenda and, with the annual Roundtable Meeting on Sustainable Palm Oil being held in Malaysia next week, it is an issue that needs to be faced head on by all in the sector.
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%