Blog: PepsiCo's tweet-to-eat vending machine
Hannah Abdulla | 3 September 2014
PepsiCo has installed a tweet-activated Walkers vending machine at bus stops in London
PepsiCo has devised a new way to connect with today's tech-savvy consumer - a Twitter-activated vending machine.
The latest iteration of the snacks giant's Do Us A Flavour campaign in the UK has seen the company build vending machines into bus stops in London.
PepsiCo's UK business devised the Do Us A Flavour campaign in 2009. Consumers are invited to come up with unusual flavours for its Walkers brand, with the general public voting for a winner. It has since been rolled out to markets including the US, Netherlands and Turkey.
This year in the UK, the voting includes consumers being able to sample the flavours - for free - at selected bus stops in London.
The bus shelters - two on Oxford Street and one on Clapham Junction - are active for two weeks. The machines respond to the @walkers_busstop handle in a tweet and reward the tweeter with one of the six crisp flavours competing for the crown.
Lee-Teng Chung, marketing manager at Walkers, said: "The Do Us A Flavour campaign has taken the nation by storm so we are delighted to offer the public the chance to try the new flavours in such an innovative way."
One tweeter called the advertising move "ingenious", with another tweeting "the changing face of social media - love it".
PepsiCo should be applauded for this novel mix of technology and social media. FMCG rivals will be watching with interest.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis