Blog: Pesto panic
Catherine Sleep | 16 August 2006
Unseasonable weather has destroyed a large part of this year’s basil harvest in the Genoa region of Italy, sparking fears that there will be a dearth of the popular basil-based sauce, pesto alla Genovese.
Hailstones the size of table tennis balls and driving rain have smashed panes of glass on many greenhouses housing the basil. Around 80% of the basil crop was destroyed, costing growers some EUR4m.
While pesto sauce is made in many places, only growers in the Pra area can call their product pesto alla Genovese, as it has been granted PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status by the European Union. As a result, prices will surely rocket as chefs seek their preferred pesto.
The storms are a stark reminder that food production is inherently fraught with uncertainties. However good your supply chain management is, freak weather can undo everything. In the meantime perhaps it will provide a fillip for pistou, a Provencal version of pesto made without nuts or cheese.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities