Blog: Pesto panic
Catherine Sleep | 16 August 2006
Unseasonable weather has destroyed a large part of this year’s basil harvest in the Genoa region of Italy, sparking fears that there will be a dearth of the popular basil-based sauce, pesto alla Genovese.
Hailstones the size of table tennis balls and driving rain have smashed panes of glass on many greenhouses housing the basil. Around 80% of the basil crop was destroyed, costing growers some EUR4m.
While pesto sauce is made in many places, only growers in the Pra area can call their product pesto alla Genovese, as it has been granted PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status by the European Union. As a result, prices will surely rocket as chefs seek their preferred pesto.
The storms are a stark reminder that food production is inherently fraught with uncertainties. However good your supply chain management is, freak weather can undo everything. In the meantime perhaps it will provide a fillip for pistou, a Provencal version of pesto made without nuts or cheese.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review