Blog: Pesto panic
Catherine Sleep | 16 August 2006
Unseasonable weather has destroyed a large part of this year’s basil harvest in the Genoa region of Italy, sparking fears that there will be a dearth of the popular basil-based sauce, pesto alla Genovese.
Hailstones the size of table tennis balls and driving rain have smashed panes of glass on many greenhouses housing the basil. Around 80% of the basil crop was destroyed, costing growers some EUR4m.
While pesto sauce is made in many places, only growers in the Pra area can call their product pesto alla Genovese, as it has been granted PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status by the European Union. As a result, prices will surely rocket as chefs seek their preferred pesto.
The storms are a stark reminder that food production is inherently fraught with uncertainties. However good your supply chain management is, freak weather can undo everything. In the meantime perhaps it will provide a fillip for pistou, a Provencal version of pesto made without nuts or cheese.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Brazil giants JBS, BRF probed over alleged bribery