Blog: Potatoes ferment but Cyprus delights
Catherine Sleep | 15 November 2005
And so to Cyprus Delight. Or Turkish Delight, as it’s more commonly known outside Cyprus. I tried some while on holiday there last week, and it really is revolting stuff. Talking of revolting, the holiday was livened up by some pretty spirited demonstrations by potato farmers. It’s not every day you see a rabble of tractors lumber down from the hills to blockade motorways. They farmers are angry because the government won’t hand out vast subsidies and cash incentives to help those who want to hang up their ploughs and exit their failing profession.
Those in the know mutter that potato farmers in Cyprus are now paying the price for the generous conditions they enjoyed prior to Cyprus’ accession to the European Union last year, which led immediately to increased competition. EU membership may be something to aspire to but it brings with it certain restrictions to ensure a level playing field for all members. Handing out generous subsidies for bad weather is no longer okay. The farmers have demanded CYP20m (US$40.8m). Not going to happen.
Like a lot of other farmers are learning, they’ll have to rely on growing superior products to ensure their future livelihood. Fortunately Cypriot potatoes really are very good, so that gives them a head start.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020