Blog: Private equity shows faith in food
Dean Best | 29 April 2008
The Mars / Wrigley deal demonstrated that there is some life in the financial markets yet.
And, here in the UK, there has been a sign that, despite a positive lack of serious M&A this year, there are some who have great confidence in the potential of small, high-growth businesses in the food industry.
Langholm Capital, the private equity fund, has followed its acquisition, ownership and sale of burgeoning cereals business Dorset Cereals with the purchase of another thriving niche firm, Tyrrells Crisps.
just-food interviewed Langholm principal Oliver Wyncoll last week and he told us that growing demand for natural food and for heritage and provenance has been a key factor in his firm’s investments.
Private equity has got something of a bad press in recent months with some firms seen as asset-stripping predators out to make a quick return without putting up any significant investment.
Langholm, however, believes its backers – Rabobank and Unilever – show that it is part of a different breed.
It’s apparently successful model for building niche brands appears to back its argument.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016