Blog: Public backlash against supermarkets?
Catherine Sleep | 4 February 2005
According to a new poll, the great British public is waking up to the fact that supermarkets have ‘too much power’ and is keen to see greater government intervention to impose limits.
Almost half of participants in an ICM poll said that Tesco is getting ‘too big and powerful’, while 82% thought the government should impose rules and regulation to make supermarkets act in the public interest.
The survey’s findings are being interpreted as a warning shot across the bows of Tesco and its ilk, but why? In my experience we Brits are very good at agreeing that things need to change, without actually taking any steps to bring that change about. I don’t think supermarkets need fear a noticeable drop in footfall anytime soon.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review