Blog: Rainy summer hitting sales
Catherine Sleep | 8 September 2004
Another year, another wet British summer. Or so Somerfield would have us believe, although I don’t think it’s been that bad. And in any case, I never really understand why supermarkets have quite such a hard time as they say they do whenever it rains a bit more than usual.
I mean, I can see why ice-cream makers and their ilk are hard hit when the sun stays behind clouds, but surely summer-specific products are only a small part of a general supermarket’s range, and more to the point, if we’re not having BBQs, then surely we’re having supper inside, and therefore buying other foods from them instead?
It’s not like we stop eating. And we buy more umbrellas. And cocoa. So it’s not all bad news.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report