Blog: Recession blues affecting kids, says Asda
Dean Best | 14 July 2009
Kids want less nowadays. That's the surprising conclusion of a survey from UK retail giant Asda, which says "pester power" is on the wane due to the downturn.
Some 1,000 parents and 600 children were interviewed by Asda and the company said the results showed that kids were becoming worried about the effect the recession was having on their parents.
Fourty-four per cent of kids say they are not asking for stuff "they don't really need", while more than half claim to be concerned about the downturn's impact on mum and dad.
Just 18% of parents thought little Janet and John were worried about the credit crunch.
Now, if UK kids really are taking more of an interest in the state of the economy, that concern, combined with financial lessons for kids in school, then, in the years to come, the country may not be so laden with debt.
However, children want stuff. It's in their DNA. And the parents among you will no doubt be preparing for a summer of: "Mum, can I have that?" "Ask your father." "Dad...."
One of my younger brothers turns 11 next week. And I can imagine the look on his face if I turn up with just a card and no pressie....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities