Blog: Recession blues affecting kids, says Asda
Dean Best | 14 July 2009
Kids want less nowadays. That's the surprising conclusion of a survey from UK retail giant Asda, which says "pester power" is on the wane due to the downturn.
Some 1,000 parents and 600 children were interviewed by Asda and the company said the results showed that kids were becoming worried about the effect the recession was having on their parents.
Fourty-four per cent of kids say they are not asking for stuff "they don't really need", while more than half claim to be concerned about the downturn's impact on mum and dad.
Just 18% of parents thought little Janet and John were worried about the credit crunch.
Now, if UK kids really are taking more of an interest in the state of the economy, that concern, combined with financial lessons for kids in school, then, in the years to come, the country may not be so laden with debt.
However, children want stuff. It's in their DNA. And the parents among you will no doubt be preparing for a summer of: "Mum, can I have that?" "Ask your father." "Dad...."
One of my younger brothers turns 11 next week. And I can imagine the look on his face if I turn up with just a card and no pressie....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review