Blog: Reeling from the floods, Australia's farmers prepare for Cyclone Yasi
Dean Best | 2 February 2011
Queensland, a key part of Australia's food sector, after being hit by some of the worst floods in living memory, is now preparing for what is being labelled as the fiercest cyclone the country has seen.
Tropical cyclone Yasi, upgraded overnight to a 'category five' cyclone, the most severe rating, is bearing down on northern Queensland.
Sugar growers within Australia's Canegrowers association, remembering the impact that cyclone Larry had on the industry five years ago, has estimated that Yasi could cost the sugarcane industry A$500m.
Five years ago, the state's cane sugar and banana sectors were hit by Larry, which wiped out up to 50% of cane crops, the association said.
Reflecting on the potential impact of Yasi, Cangrowers CEO Steve Greenwood said: "The half a billion projected losses do not even start to include the cost of broader damage to infrastructure such as the road and rail network, houses, property, mills and ports."
Crops in Queensland were affected by last month's floods, which followed wet weather in Victoria in December, which hit the wheat, canola, barley and fruit and vegetable sectors.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016