Blog: Repurcussions of botulism scare continue to impact Fonterra
Hannah Abdulla | 27 March 2014
It's been a tough last year for Fonterra and the repurcussions don't appear to have stopped. The firm reported a 53% loss in profits for the first six months of its financial year yesterday attributing the losses to margins being squeezed by higher commodity prices.
Following the legal tie-up with Danone over last year's Botulism scare, Fonterra has set aside NZ$11m (US$9.5m) in expected legal fees. Earlier this month Fonterra accepted four counts of food safety violations related to the incident which saw Danone axe its supply contract with the firm.
According to Danone, the recall of the concentrated whey powder last August resulted in lost sales of EUR350m (US$476m).
Fonterra said in the report it was "working through the details of Danone's claim" and would "vigorously defend its position".
The $11m it has provided it says represents "the maximum contractual liability to Danone", though it is lower than the NZ$14m provision it originally announced at the end of last year.
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)