Blog: Repurcussions of botulism scare continue to impact Fonterra
Hannah Abdulla | 27 March 2014
It's been a tough last year for Fonterra and the repurcussions don't appear to have stopped. The firm reported a 53% loss in profits for the first six months of its financial year yesterday attributing the losses to margins being squeezed by higher commodity prices.
Following the legal tie-up with Danone over last year's Botulism scare, Fonterra has set aside NZ$11m (US$9.5m) in expected legal fees. Earlier this month Fonterra accepted four counts of food safety violations related to the incident which saw Danone axe its supply contract with the firm.
According to Danone, the recall of the concentrated whey powder last August resulted in lost sales of EUR350m (US$476m).
Fonterra said in the report it was "working through the details of Danone's claim" and would "vigorously defend its position".
The $11m it has provided it says represents "the maximum contractual liability to Danone", though it is lower than the NZ$14m provision it originally announced at the end of last year.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits