Blog: Retailer seeks interesting brand extension
Petah Marian | 1 February 2011
Supermarket w/ GSOH seeks DTE someone w/ SI to meet IRL. Well at least that's the impression that Asda is conveying today with the launch of its online dating site today (1 February).
Lonely hearts will be able to find a partner using a system developed by UKDating, a company that creates dating solutions.
The grocery retailer said it launched the site after a survey of 10,000 customers showed that 71% of men and 64% of women look for a partner in their local supermarket before anywhere else.
While highlighting the usual dating preferences, the site will match you with partners based on your food preferences.
The move may come close to being the strangest brand extension by a UK grocery retailer, joining Tesco, which offers weight-loss retreats in Ireland.
* For dating site novices GSOH - Good sense of humour, DTE - Down to earth, SI - Similar interests, IRL - In real life
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review