Blog: Retailers' price cuts highlight Spain's weak economy
Dean Best | 11 June 2012
Spain is the country in Europe that has dominated business headlines in recent weeks. Over the weekend, ministers for the countries in the eurozone agreed to a EUR100bn bailout package for Spain's banks. The move will provide some relief for the markets but, for FMCG manufacturers, it needs to be remembered Spain is in its second recession in three years. The unemployment rate in Spain reached 24.4% in the first three months of 2012.
As data from the latest just-food international basket shows, Spain is one of the most price-sensitive markets in Europe, reflecting the pressure consumers are under. The gap between the prices of brands and own label is growing as retailers fight to attract shoppers. Spanish retailer El Corte Ingles has announced price cuts on thousands of food products in a bid to stay competitive. Its announcement followed annual financial results from Spanish co-operative retailer Eroski that showed a fall in annual sales as it invested in price. Food manufacturers operating in Spain will be aware just how challenging operating in Europe's fifth-largest economy has become.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review