Blog: Retailers' price cuts highlight Spain's weak economy
Dean Best | 11 June 2012
Spain is the country in Europe that has dominated business headlines in recent weeks. Over the weekend, ministers for the countries in the eurozone agreed to a EUR100bn bailout package for Spain's banks. The move will provide some relief for the markets but, for FMCG manufacturers, it needs to be remembered Spain is in its second recession in three years. The unemployment rate in Spain reached 24.4% in the first three months of 2012.
As data from the latest just-food international basket shows, Spain is one of the most price-sensitive markets in Europe, reflecting the pressure consumers are under. The gap between the prices of brands and own label is growing as retailers fight to attract shoppers. Spanish retailer El Corte Ingles has announced price cuts on thousands of food products in a bid to stay competitive. Its announcement followed annual financial results from Spanish co-operative retailer Eroski that showed a fall in annual sales as it invested in price. Food manufacturers operating in Spain will be aware just how challenging operating in Europe's fifth-largest economy has become.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities