Blog: Retailers' price cuts highlight Spain's weak economy
Dean Best | 11 June 2012
Spain is the country in Europe that has dominated business headlines in recent weeks. Over the weekend, ministers for the countries in the eurozone agreed to a EUR100bn bailout package for Spain's banks. The move will provide some relief for the markets but, for FMCG manufacturers, it needs to be remembered Spain is in its second recession in three years. The unemployment rate in Spain reached 24.4% in the first three months of 2012.
As data from the latest just-food international basket shows, Spain is one of the most price-sensitive markets in Europe, reflecting the pressure consumers are under. The gap between the prices of brands and own label is growing as retailers fight to attract shoppers. Spanish retailer El Corte Ingles has announced price cuts on thousands of food products in a bid to stay competitive. Its announcement followed annual financial results from Spanish co-operative retailer Eroski that showed a fall in annual sales as it invested in price. Food manufacturers operating in Spain will be aware just how challenging operating in Europe's fifth-largest economy has become.
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group