Blog: Road to recovery will be anything but smooth
Dean Best | 4 January 2010
Welcome back one and all. We trust you had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year. We did - although just-food's editor fell victim to the ice and is currently at his desk with his arm in a sling after fracturing his elbow. (No sniggering at the back - ed).
At this time of the year, business minds tend to turn to Christmas trading, how retailers performed over the festive period and the prognosis for consumer confidence in the months ahead.
A clutch of UK retailers, including Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer, will give an update on their recent performance in the coming days, although Asda has claimed a "solid" Christmas and Waitrose insisted sales had "exceeded expectations".
Nevertheless, 2010 promises to be a challenging year - not least because of the enduring uncertainty around the economy and public finances around the world.
Optimism over festive sales could last as long as the Christmas decorations stay up. Most consumers prefer to push the boat out over Christmas and think about the consequences and deal with the credit card bills a few weeks later. To read too much into buoyant-looking Christmas sales figures could be misleading.
With two more UK retailers to face the market this week, executives will look to shed more light on the prospects for the country's grocery sector. Just don't expect too much certainty on the year ahead.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities