Blog: Rumour mill over United Biscuits snacks unit interest continues
Michelle Russell | 8 October 2012
Reports have surfaced once again that United Biscuits has attracted more bidders for its salty snacks division.
The company declined to comment on reports this morning (8 October) the unit might be sold to a Russian-British private equity firm in a GBP450m auction.
Reports emerged over the weekend that Pamplona Capital Management is a favourite to win the bid, although the company did not return comment at the time of going to press.
United Biscuits also declined to comment on the reports.
Pamplona is one of a number of companies reported to be preparing bids for the division, which has brands such as Hula Hoops, KP Nuts and Skips.
Last week, former Tesco boss Sir Terry Leahy was reported to be leading a bid by private equity firm Clayton Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) for the salty snacks business of United Biscuits.
A spokesperson for United Biscuits confirmed to just-food last month that it was "actively trying to sell the KP snacks business" and that documentation giving details of the business had been sent to potential purchasers.
The spokesperson said there had been "a good level of interest" for the business but declined to comment on who the recipients were.
It is understood the deadline for bids is tomorrow.
In the sustainability arena, objective endorsement by a third party, particularly an NGO with credibility levels among consumers that even Unilever can only dream of, is an extremely valuable commodit...
An eye-catching tech move from Tesco has been revealed this week - and one that has echoes of one of Amazon's latest initiatives in the US....
Danone has appointed a new executive to lead its early life nutrition business, which features brands including Aptamil and Nutrilon....
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise joint venture plans
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Hershey buys company behind BarkThins brand
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- PepsiCo, Target back campaign for gender parity