Blog: Rumours rumble on over Carrefour and CBD "talks" in Brazil
Dean Best | 24 May 2011
Another day and more rumours over the future of Carrefour's operations in Brazil.
Over the weekend, a report in France said Carrefour had asked advisers to look at a potential merger with CBD, Brazil's largest retailer.
With some retail analysts thinking a deal between the two was unlikely, there have been more further reports in France and Brazil that has kept the rumour mill turning.
In France, local retailer Casino, which owns a 35% stake in CBD, reportedly publicly warned Carrefour that would have a say in whether a deal with the Brazilian company would take place.
And, in Brazil, the Valor Economico newspaper claimed Carrefour and CBD, also known through its trading name of Grupo Pao de Acucar, had indeed been in talks - for over a month.
Without citing sources, Valor Economico claimed the two sides would look to merge their hypermarket and supermarket operations.
Carrefour and the Diniz family, the other main investor in CBD, could look to reach a share-swap deal to push the transaction through, the newspaper claimed.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review