Blog: Rumours rumble on over Carrefour and CBD "talks" in Brazil
Dean Best | 24 May 2011
Another day and more rumours over the future of Carrefour's operations in Brazil.
Over the weekend, a report in France said Carrefour had asked advisers to look at a potential merger with CBD, Brazil's largest retailer.
With some retail analysts thinking a deal between the two was unlikely, there have been more further reports in France and Brazil that has kept the rumour mill turning.
In France, local retailer Casino, which owns a 35% stake in CBD, reportedly publicly warned Carrefour that would have a say in whether a deal with the Brazilian company would take place.
And, in Brazil, the Valor Economico newspaper claimed Carrefour and CBD, also known through its trading name of Grupo Pao de Acucar, had indeed been in talks - for over a month.
Without citing sources, Valor Economico claimed the two sides would look to merge their hypermarket and supermarket operations.
Carrefour and the Diniz family, the other main investor in CBD, could look to reach a share-swap deal to push the transaction through, the newspaper claimed.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020