Blog: Rumours rumble on over Carrefour and CBD "talks" in Brazil
Dean Best | 24 May 2011
Another day and more rumours over the future of Carrefour's operations in Brazil.
Over the weekend, a report in France said Carrefour had asked advisers to look at a potential merger with CBD, Brazil's largest retailer.
With some retail analysts thinking a deal between the two was unlikely, there have been more further reports in France and Brazil that has kept the rumour mill turning.
In France, local retailer Casino, which owns a 35% stake in CBD, reportedly publicly warned Carrefour that would have a say in whether a deal with the Brazilian company would take place.
And, in Brazil, the Valor Economico newspaper claimed Carrefour and CBD, also known through its trading name of Grupo Pao de Acucar, had indeed been in talks - for over a month.
Without citing sources, Valor Economico claimed the two sides would look to merge their hypermarket and supermarket operations.
Carrefour and the Diniz family, the other main investor in CBD, could look to reach a share-swap deal to push the transaction through, the newspaper claimed.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities