Blog: Rumours rumble on over Carrefour and CBD "talks" in Brazil
Dean Best | 24 May 2011
Another day and more rumours over the future of Carrefour's operations in Brazil.
Over the weekend, a report in France said Carrefour had asked advisers to look at a potential merger with CBD, Brazil's largest retailer.
With some retail analysts thinking a deal between the two was unlikely, there have been more further reports in France and Brazil that has kept the rumour mill turning.
In France, local retailer Casino, which owns a 35% stake in CBD, reportedly publicly warned Carrefour that would have a say in whether a deal with the Brazilian company would take place.
And, in Brazil, the Valor Economico newspaper claimed Carrefour and CBD, also known through its trading name of Grupo Pao de Acucar, had indeed been in talks - for over a month.
Without citing sources, Valor Economico claimed the two sides would look to merge their hypermarket and supermarket operations.
Carrefour and the Diniz family, the other main investor in CBD, could look to reach a share-swap deal to push the transaction through, the newspaper claimed.
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin