Blog: Russia Turkey sanctions - food said to be involved
Dean Best | 30 November 2015
Putin has issued sanctions against Turkey
The Kremlin has formally outlined the sanctions Moscow is imposing on Turkey after a Russian fighter jet was shot down last week and, although specific details on the goods to be blocked has yet to be announced, food items are reportedly involved.
Vladimir Putin imposed a series of economic sanctions against Turkey at the weekend, with the measures including restrictions on unspecified imports
Moscow has yet to publish a list of the goods Turkey will not be able to export to Russia but reports today suggested food is to be affected.
Russia will ban vegetables and fruits from Turkey, Reuters reported, quoting senior government officials.
However, Russian deputy prime minister Arkady Dvorkovich has said Moscow may delay the introduction of restrictions to ease inflation in the country, which stands at over 15%.
Russia's inflation has in part been fuelled by Moscow's ban on a range of foodstuffs from markets including the US, the EU and Australia over the Ukraine crisis.
Meanwhile, a separate report from Reuters said over 1,200 trucks from Turkey carrying unspecified products have been blocked from entering the country.
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods