Blog: Russia's cereal lovers to wake up to Kellogg brands
Dean Best | 4 December 2009
Kellogg UK welcomed a few Russian food journalists to its Manchester HQ (or Tony Towers, as the locals call it) this week to herald the launch of a clutch of European cereal brands into the country.
Coco Pops and Miel Pops will go on sale in Russia next week as Kellogg embarks on its latest bid to expand in the market following last year's acquisition of United Bakers Group.
Nestle is the leader in the Russian breakfast cereals market with a 55% share of the category and in September said it would spend US$21m to expand production capacity in the country.
Since Kellogg's acquisition of United Bakers in 2008, the US cereal giant has said it has "invested heavily" into the company's local brands, including the flagship Lubyatovo line.
Nevertheless, Kellogg told us yesterday (3 December) that it believes "the time is right" to launch its own brands into the market, which kicks off next week.
Kellogg said there is "a lot of potential for growth" in the Russian cereal category and, with Nestle holding a commanding share of the market, the US firm will no doubt be hoping that potential becomes reality.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review