Blog: Russia's sweet tooth
Dean Best | 26 July 2007
It seems Russia is full of chocolate lovers.
Just a week after Kraft Foods said it was boosting its ability to produce more chocolate for the Russian market, it has emerged that US rival Mars is planning to build another confectionery site in the country.
Like many – if not all – food and beverage companies, confectionery and chocolate makers are looking towards the world’s emerging markets for growth, as sales in the mature markets of the West slow.
And the world’s chocolate giants are seemingly looking to Russia, where chocolate sales are booming.
Last week, Kraft, the company behind Milka chocolate, told just-food that its chocolate sales leapt almost 18% in Russia last year. The investment in its production capacity is a sure sign of its confidence that the Russian love for chocolate will go from strength to strength.
While Mars has so far been coy on its plans for expansion in Russia, now seems to be the perfect time for the M&M’s and Snickers maker to invest.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review