Blog: Sainsbury's Shapland loss will be deeply felt
Petah Marian | 9 May 2011
Sainsbury's has lost a key member of its executive team, as it announced the surprise resignation of development director Darren Shapland today (9 May).
The announcement of his departure, just two days ahead of the Sainsbury's full-year results presentation on Wednesday, is likely to fuel speculation over the coming 48 hours over how the move will impact the UK's third-largest grocer's strategy.
Strategically, the loss of Shapland is likely to be deeply felt, as he has been the driver behind the retailer considering expansion into international markets, as well as leading its two major expansion drivers in recent years - convenience and property, in addition to being responsible for its banking division (a role he will still hold as non-executive chairman).
Not only this, he has been tipped as a possible successor to current chief executive Justin King.
With analysts already making their concerns about Sainsbury's results known, the announcement will likely add to the questions the City has over the retailer's outlook.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review