Blog: Sainsbury's should breathe a sigh of relief
Dean Best | 5 November 2007
Investors in UK retailer Sainsbury’s would have been disappointed that suitor Delta Two has abandoned plans to buy the company.
Shares in the UK’s third-largest retailer slumped today (5 November) after the Qatar-backed fund decided not to proceed with plans for a GBP10.6bn (US$22.1bn) bid.
Indeed, at the current share price, Delta Two faces a loss on its investment in Sainsbury’s, in which it holds a 25% stake and is the company’s single largest shareholder.
Nevertheless, perhaps after the months of talks and speculation, Sainsbury’s is in a stronger position as an independent company, than if Delta Two’s backers had stumped up the extra funding needed to convince its sceptical pension trustees.
Would Delta Two have had the resources to invest further in the company and to fight the likes of Tesco and Asda head on? I doubt it.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities