Blog: Sainsbury's "still learning" with Fresh Kitchen
Petah Marian | 12 May 2011
While speaking with Justin King yesterday (11 May), the Sainsbury's chief executive told just-food that the retailer is "still learning" how to run foodservice operations with its Fresh Kitchen store, which opened in London in January.
With the UK's number three grocer set to have around 45% of its revenue come from its "beyond food" sources by 2020, it's clear that King and his executive team see diversification as important for the future of the business.
Referring to Fresh Kitchen, King said Sainsbury's was learning how to run the kind of business whose success relies on "getting that business between 12 and 2". Sainsbury's, he said, has employed "a couple" of senior people from the foodservice sector to help it along.
King admitted that the retailer is still working on getting the concept right but he insisted that the Fleet Street store would not prove the success of the model, as there are "3,000 bankers upstairs" willing to shop at the store.
However, he said the retailer is in "no rush" to roll out more of the stores, insisting that it still has "lots to learn".
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review