Blog: Saint Delia, I take it all back
Catherine Sleep | 3 July 2003
Several years later, I think of myself largely as a Nigel Slater kind of gal. This is partly because his writing style is so enjoyable – he has strong opinions about quality and integrity of ingredients and a pleasingly laissez-faire attitude when he can afford to. In the foreword to Real Cooking, for example, Slater shares the exasperation he felt when a reader called to ask whether the two tablespoons of chopped parsley were level or heaped.
A far cry from “Delia the Dictator”, and yet, and yet… some ten years after it was first published, I find myself cooking my way through Delia’s Summer Collection. And I’m really enjoying it. ALL the dishes are working out right, and for an alleged stuffed shirt, ten years ago Delia's recipes already incorporated ingredients that are only now becoming mainstream in UK cookery, like Halloumi cheese, capers and rocket. Yes, she is a bit bossy (“No, green peppers WON’T do instead of red, you fool!”), but I can live with that.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements