Blog: Saint Delia, I take it all back
Catherine Sleep | 3 July 2003
Several years later, I think of myself largely as a Nigel Slater kind of gal. This is partly because his writing style is so enjoyable – he has strong opinions about quality and integrity of ingredients and a pleasingly laissez-faire attitude when he can afford to. In the foreword to Real Cooking, for example, Slater shares the exasperation he felt when a reader called to ask whether the two tablespoons of chopped parsley were level or heaped.
A far cry from “Delia the Dictator”, and yet, and yet… some ten years after it was first published, I find myself cooking my way through Delia’s Summer Collection. And I’m really enjoying it. ALL the dishes are working out right, and for an alleged stuffed shirt, ten years ago Delia's recipes already incorporated ingredients that are only now becoming mainstream in UK cookery, like Halloumi cheese, capers and rocket. Yes, she is a bit bossy (“No, green peppers WON’T do instead of red, you fool!”), but I can live with that.
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action