Blog: Sandwich maker looks to capitalise on Nestle's Hot Pockets switch
Hannah Abdulla | 22 August 2014
Better Bakery has taken advantage of Nestle's Hot Pockets plant closure announcement by launching its own recruitment campaign
They say one man's trash is another man's treasure. Earlier this month, Nestle announced it would be scrapping production of its Hot Pockets sandwiches at its plant in Chatsworth in California and would move it to another site, leaving 360 staff out in the cold.
But small-timer Better Bakery has used the opportunity to shout about its "rapid growth". The California-based heat-and-eat sandwich maker, which two years ago had less than 40 staff on its workforce, now employs 280 and is looking to add a further 40-50 to its team.
"We are growing rapidly and have a need for more people to join our team. When we heard Nestle was closing its Chatsworth Hot Pocket plant, and we immediately wanted to help and let them know we are hiring," said CEO Bryan Freeman.
The firm has used Nestle's announcement to launch its own recruitment campaign, going to the length of placing a mobile billboard in front of the closing Nestle plant, announcing it is "looking for hot prospects". On Monday it is conducting interviews - and handing out free Pretzel Melts in a bid to kick off its two new product lines, Skinny Melts and Breakfast Melts.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis