Blog: Santa Claus - Public enemy number one
Sam Webb | 12 December 2011
Beloved by children around the world, Father Christmas has been spreading gifts, goodwill and the joy of the festive season for generations.
Not so, says Benjamin England, a 17-year veteran of the Food and Drug Administration and founder of imports advisory firm FDAImports.com. What he's actually been doing is far more sinister - illegally importing millions of dollars worth of merchandise to children in the US, violating every rule in the book on import laws, regulations and standards.
In a light-hearted press release, England acknowledges that Saint Nick's heart is in the the right place but has warned that stealthily slipping under the radar in his magic sled and giving kids chocolate and candy that has not gone under full FDA screening and inspection may make him a target for the watchdog.
"They call that smuggling, folks," England said. "I know for a fact that there are no in-house attorneys working for Mr Claus at the North Pole because lawyers hate the cold.
"I just hope that he will take the compliance side of things more seriously before the FDA really cracks down on him."
A spokes-elf for Santa Claus' North Pole operation was not available for comment when contacted by just-food.
Read the full, shocking account of Santa Claus' law-breaking here.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review