Blog: Santa Claus - Public enemy number one
Sam Webb | 12 December 2011
Beloved by children around the world, Father Christmas has been spreading gifts, goodwill and the joy of the festive season for generations.
Not so, says Benjamin England, a 17-year veteran of the Food and Drug Administration and founder of imports advisory firm FDAImports.com. What he's actually been doing is far more sinister - illegally importing millions of dollars worth of merchandise to children in the US, violating every rule in the book on import laws, regulations and standards.
In a light-hearted press release, England acknowledges that Saint Nick's heart is in the the right place but has warned that stealthily slipping under the radar in his magic sled and giving kids chocolate and candy that has not gone under full FDA screening and inspection may make him a target for the watchdog.
"They call that smuggling, folks," England said. "I know for a fact that there are no in-house attorneys working for Mr Claus at the North Pole because lawyers hate the cold.
"I just hope that he will take the compliance side of things more seriously before the FDA really cracks down on him."
A spokes-elf for Santa Claus' North Pole operation was not available for comment when contacted by just-food.
Read the full, shocking account of Santa Claus' law-breaking here.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020