Blog: Sausage renaissance
Catherine Sleep | 13 September 2006
We often meet friends for breakfast – one of the social occasions still open to families with young children. Both on these occasions and in hotels, it is so often the sausage that lets down the English breakfast. Sausages have gone seriously upmarket in the last ten years, but the new improved version comes at a price and all too often catering establishments seem to cut corners when it comes to breakfast sausages.
Still, it takes time to change things for the better. It’s good to see Sainsbury’s doing its bit, today putting Powters’ Gloucestershire Oldspots Sausage with Cider on the shelves of 25 of its stores in East Anglia. These are thought to be the only sausages made entirely from one pedigree rare breed of pig that are available in a multiple retailer. Not only that, but they come in a rather pleasing cardboard box as well. None of your nasty cellophane for these sausages, oh no.
The listing provides a nice example of local supermarket sourcing as well. The pork used is only available in limited quantities but this hasn’t put Sainsbury’s off offering them in just a small number of its outlets in the area closest to the producer. More of this, please.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up