Blog: School dinners
Catherine Sleep | 1 March 2005
I always detested school meals at primary school. The desserts were ok (‘chocolate concrete’ was a particular favourite), but the main meals were barely edible. I always wondered how anyone could make basic foods such as sausages, baked beans, peas and roast potatoes taste so awful. The food was all very processed, the nutritional benefit marginal, and I dread to think what went into the burgers we were served every week.
Despite current concerns about obesity, unhealthy foods such as chips and burgers are still routinely served up in some UK schools. The government is finally tackling the issue, with new minimum health specifications for processed foods set to be introduced into schools from September, ahead of the introduction of tougher standards for school meals in 2006.
But how do school meals in the UK compare with those in other countries? Food-obsessed France certainly seems to have some good ideas to encourage healthy eating at school, but how do you stop kids from tucking into a McDonald’s on the way home?
Kate Barker (Acting Editor)
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities