Blog: School dinners
Catherine Sleep | 1 March 2005
I always detested school meals at primary school. The desserts were ok (‘chocolate concrete’ was a particular favourite), but the main meals were barely edible. I always wondered how anyone could make basic foods such as sausages, baked beans, peas and roast potatoes taste so awful. The food was all very processed, the nutritional benefit marginal, and I dread to think what went into the burgers we were served every week.
Despite current concerns about obesity, unhealthy foods such as chips and burgers are still routinely served up in some UK schools. The government is finally tackling the issue, with new minimum health specifications for processed foods set to be introduced into schools from September, ahead of the introduction of tougher standards for school meals in 2006.
But how do school meals in the UK compare with those in other countries? Food-obsessed France certainly seems to have some good ideas to encourage healthy eating at school, but how do you stop kids from tucking into a McDonald’s on the way home?
Kate Barker (Acting Editor)
UK consumers are being urged to think of other ways to use their jack-o-lanterns and cut the millions of tonnes of pumpkin that is wasted at this time of year....
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report