Blog: Scrooge of Bromsgrove
Catherine Sleep | 21 July 2004
Just had to share a pet hate with you. I cannot stand it when PR people (or pretty much anyone else) who don’t know me from Adam ring and ask how I am before launching into their spiel.
They’d be completely thrown if I actually told them, wouldn’t they? Perhaps next time I should give it a whirl: “Well, Bunty/Janey/Mikey, actually I’m kind of under par because next door’s baby kept me awake half the night. My car’s failed its MOT, the dog’s got worms and I was outbid for an antique teaspoon I had my eye on on Ebay. So how are YOU doing?”
But of course that’s not an acceptable answer. The only acceptable answer is a brief “Fine thanks”. I’m not sure why it grates so much, because generally I’m all for the little niceties in life that grease the wheels of social interaction. Perhaps it’s because we Brits are so bad at this particular little trend that’s crept across the Atlantic. When I’m nervously asked how I am by somebody who is clearly ill at ease asking the question and certainly doesn’t want a genuine answer, it makes me uncomfortable and this can get the conversation off to a bad start.
Things can deteriorate further if they then ask me to "send them a sample copy of just-food magazine". Bit difficult to stuff a website into a brown envelope and send it via Royal Mail. How about glancing at the site before making that call?
But I’m not really a grump, although I realise I'm doing an excellent impression of one right now. And I generally get on with PR people very well.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020