Blog: Seafood sector warned on global warming
Katy Askew | 1 July 2014
The New Zealand seafood industry received a stark warning this weekend: a "massive shellfish extinction event" could be on the cards.
According to local reports, US expert Todd Capson told a University of Otago conference that ocean acidification and climate change are putting the NZ - and global - seafood industries under threat.
Capson, of the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership, is due to meet with the country's policy makers to discuss the problem - and potential solutions - this week.
The SFP first warned that a global reduction of CO2 emissions is required to safeguard the seafood industry as we know it earlier this year, when it released a briefing in partnership with the University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership and Judge Business School.
The briefing warned that global warming of two degrees would result in a loss of landings to global fisheries of between US$17-41bn. Fishery yields will increase 30-70% in high latitudes but fall by 40-60% in the Tropics and Antarctica, with large species like tuna in the Pacific and Indian oceans are likely to move eastwards.
"400 hundred million people depend critically on fish for their food and face reduced access to marine protein because of climate change and acidification. Artisanal fishermen in the Tropics are most at risk," the report warned.
Changes in the distribution of marine species may lead to conflict between fishing nations and significant increases in illegal fishing, it continued.
The SFP has issued a call to action. Will the NZ government - and others - listen?
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019